L'Abbe Faria's Cell

A Weblog on self-education, from the Trivium (grammar, dialectic and rhetoric), through a New Quadrivium (number theory, natural science, visual thinking, and music) and Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy's Cross of Reality (history, literature, political theory and science), to that Queen of the Sciences, Theology, and Her handmaiden, Philosophy.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Bernard Brandt, having finally tired of being the estimable Mullah Nasruddin, has decided to return to being Cthulhu. A kinder, gentler, Cthulhu. A Cthulhu who proposes an end to poverty, an end to suffering. In fact, just plain an END. Vote for Cthulhu: why choose the LESSER evil?

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Some Language Resources

This is going to be organized better later, but I have come to the conclusion that it is better to get it out today and imperfectly, than to wait forever until things are finally perfect.

The first website that I would recommend would be FSI Language Courses. This is a nonprofit group, who take FSI language courses (which were made by the U.S. Government at public expense, and which are in the public domain), and put the tapes and records into sound files, and the language manuals into pdf files. So far, they have gotten 21 languages online free, from Amharic to Vietnamese.

If one wants to learn how to learn a language, a good beginning can be found here. While I think that I have something to add to the matter, I believe that I will wait until I have something more substantive to add here.

Of course, if you want a bit more range as regards the number of languages taught, may I recommend Word2Word. While this is a link to a good number of different language websites on the internet, the most interesting thing for me is this link: one to online courses for more than one hundred languages.

Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home